Saturday, January 02, 2010

One Little Word 2010

If you'll remember, I started doing One Little Word last year and liked it so much I'm repeating it!!

Last year my word was Possibility. I laughed as I read my explanation, as just about everything came true!

"I think this year especially, our world is full of possibilities. We may or may not move, get new jobs, quit jobs, uproot, multiply & replenish the earth, become famous, become super poor, get super rich, get discovered, gain weight, lose weight....i mean the possibilities are endless. And I think it will be really nice for me to focus on a "possibility" rather than any sort of "impossibility""

--We still may or may not move :)
--Seth is into getting new jobs!
--I am on Maternity Leave with my job
--Uproot? what's that? ;)
--Well, hello Baby Ryan!
--I am kind of famous since I was Almost in the Kinks backup choir, right?
--Did I mention we're both unemployed right now?
--I did, however, get a GREAT bonus with work.
--Seth did stand up comedy this year and I'm pretty sure that was discovery.
--Gained 60
--Lost 45 (15 to go...then some more!)

In addition to that...there were certainly some impossibilities. I don't think I've said much about this on my blog...but a year ago January we were pregnant and I miscarried. It was pretty devastating, and not something I ever expected. We were fortunate to get pregnant a few weeks after the miscarriage, and now we have Baby Ryan and couldn't feel more blessed. I'm not sure why, but the past few weeks I've been thinking a lot about last year and the range of emotion we've felt through everything. I certainly have a lot of empathy for people who have gone or are going through tough times with getting pregnant, staying pregnant, or who have lost children. While I can't fully understand everything, I certainly care and have very tender heartstrings when it comes to anyone having to deal with such hardship. Mmmm just felt like saying that.

So... Possibility really worked out for us as a 2009 word!

On to 2010. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks, and I think I've finally come to a word....


Balance



Why balance? Well...because it's a struggle for me. It's something I need to learn. I mean, how in the world am I supposed to carry a diaper bag, carseat, stroller, baby, bottle, nursing cover, purse, wallet, credit card, hand sanitizer, and lip balm into a grocery store and still have room (and energy) to shop!? Sigh. Needless to say, this is not an adventure I've been on yet.

All joking aside. Balance in life, balance with family, balance with church callings, balancing my emotions, balancing nutrition, health, and exercise with everything else I need to work on. Balance is also steadiness, finding equilibrium, a means of judging or deciding, "an aesthetically pleasing integration of elements", and last but not least...."an amount in excess especially on the credit side of an account" (seth's going to like that I'm working on having a greater balance in my checking account)

So 2010, let's balance each other out, okay?

6 comments:

Jolene said...

What a fun idea. I remember you and a few others doing this year. I think I will try it too.

Kelley said...

it's a good word and a good goal . . . thanks for the post!

Allison said...

Balance sounds great to me!

Devony said...

I'm always amazed at your deep thinking skills, particularly 2 months post baby! Amazing! I really enjoyed this post though and am excited for your balance lessons that will come very naturally!

Charisa and Trent said...

A- to the -Men!!!!
I've have been pretty well focused one being balanced thus far in 2010 and it feels amazing!!!
Let's do it!!

Sarah Stout said...

Amen! What a good word to start out the year! I think my new word for the year would be IMPROVEMENT, because I really want to improve in so many areas that I feel like I've let slip. Life gets busy, doesn't it?

I hope that you're doing well. I miss chatting with you. We'll have to catch up soon. :)