Before I begin to tell you our story, let me introduce the Key Components:
Seth and Jane:

This Pizza:

Our Favorite View of DC:
This Carillon Tower:

This "Griffin"(This picture was taken in July 2006):
This Homeless Man:
Our First Kiss (this post).
And THIS:

And NOW.......Our Story!!!!!
On Monday night (the 24th of March), Seth picked me up after work and asked me if I wanted to go to 2 Amys, my favorite pizza restaurant! We drove up to 2 Amys restaurant in upper Georgetown and got right in to eat our favorite--the Margarita Extra Neapolitan Pizza! Mmmm this has been one of our favorites since our first kiss date--August 5, 2005. We love the pizza, and love even more the memories associated with it. I think several of the visitors we've had in DC have had the treat of this pizza as well thanks to our love for it and desire to share it with everyone!!! This dinner, however, was just the two of us :)
After dinner, we got in the car and Seth started driving. I could only hope that this date was a pattern from our first kiss date, when we drove down to Iwo Jima and settled in near the Carillon Tower, overlooking our Favorite View of DC, right next to the "Griffin"*. Well, I was in luck, because that's exactly what we did!!! Seth parked near Iwo Jima and we made the very cold walk to the Carillon Tower. We looked for the bench that used to overlook the entire city, and when we realized they'd removed it (what were they thinking???) we stood next to the griffin, overlooking our favorite view, and just hugged for a LOOOONNNNG time. I can't even describe the thoughts and feelings I had as we were standing there, both anticipating what was to come. After a little while, Seth sat me down next to the Griffin and got down on one knee. He pulled out the box, took the ring out, and asked me to marry him!! (He even said Janey, my favorite!)
After basking in the moment, a very funny homeless man decided he wanted to stand next to us and enjoy the view as well. He basked in our moment with us for awhile, eying my purse the entire time. I whispered to Seth that maybe he could take our picture, but seth thought that he might want to take our camera, so we opted against that. It was really cold anyway, and we were turning into icicles, so we decided to leave him in peace and go to our warm car!!!
Sigh. Isn't that just the best story ever? I still play it over and over in my mind....what a memorable evening!
After calling the parents, we came back to the apartment for a few post-engagement pictures (thanks Mary and Ashley)!
Another Ring Shot (didn't Seth do such a Great Job?!?!?)

The Happy (and kind of tired!) Newly Engaged Couple:

Telling the Story:

That night I was clearly too excited to sleep, so I was just going through all of the people in our lives that have made such a difference--family and friends. Each moment seemed to bring a new person to mind that had really made such a difference in my life, and had led me to this moment. If it weren't for the support of loving parents, amazing siblings, & fantastic friends, (and even a few "angel among us" acquaintances) I don't think I would ever be where I am today. So...I guess I just wanted to say "Thanks". Thank you, for your love, your support, your encouragement--for everything. We truly couldn't have made it this far in our lives without you. My heart is full of gratitude for the people throughout my life who have touched me in so many different ways.
I'm so lucky to have so many amazing people in my life!
*Note: We know that the "Griffin" is actually a very large lion and not a large eagle-ish creature....we just have called it a griffin from the beginning and I'd like to keep it that way!!!
34 comments:
Jane I am sooooo excited for you!! Beautiful ring and handsome man. We wish you all the happiness in the world.
Congrats, Jane!
Jane I'm seriously sooooooooooooooooooooo excited for you!!! Congratulations!
Congratulations! I just read the announcement on Annie and Luke's blog. That is so awesome! P.S. I am Amy, Annie's sister.
Hi Jane - So glad I finally got to hear your story. We were at the library wed morning when Seth tried to call us and I had left my cell phone at home and then I've been sick with no voice ever since. I was actually just going to email the both of you and apologize for not returning Seth's call. Beautiful ring ... nice & sparkly! Cute story and we'll have to try that pizza spot with you guys sometime ... if it's family friendly. So, now we need details like where, when, etc of the big day!! Hope it's soon!!
welcome to the family Sethy! Congrats to ya both. I love the ring and especially that first pic with you and seth. hurray!!!
Yeah! I check your blog every now and again to see is there is any "news" and FINALLY I got what I was waiting for!! hee hee any way congrats and enjoy this wonderful time in your life! It will only get better from here but all the excitment of being engaged and planning flies by so don't get stressed and just enjoy it!
congrats, congrats, congrats! You are going to be a bride!
WaHoo!!! Your ring is lovely and the night sounded great. What was up with the homeless dude though? Ahhh!
We are so glad for you. Hooray and Congrats!!!
Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
I cannot even begin to express how happy I am for the two of you. CONGRATULATIONS!! We love you and wish you all the luck!
Wahoo!! Finally!!! ;) Good choice on the ring Seth! What are the plans from here? (When, where...etc...colors, flowers...haha ok, mostly just when and where but any other details are always fun!)
Yay!!! Congratulations!! So when will the blessed event be taking place? Enjoy staring at your ring. It's always fun watching it sparkle. Seth did a great job!
Wade says, "YES!" on that pizza being so awesome (and Wade knows pizza!). Thanks for taking him there (even though he totally put his foot in his mouth asking "aren't you guys engaged now?" --this was 2 years ago!).
We love your ring and are excited for you guys :)
YAY!! Congrats to you both! And yes, Seth did a wonderful job picking out that gorgeous ring :) And tell him I think he is one lucky guy to have you!
yaaaaaaay i've been waiting for this blog post for so long!! :) ...i mean, like, all week...but i guess also...you know. anyway, congrats and i'm SO excited for you!!!!
Your posts always make me laugh. Not that I am laughing that you are engaged--more smiling with joy. But laughing at how funny you are!!!! Congrats. Welcome to the club!
Jane I'm so happy for you I could cry! Congrats and I love you! What a lucky boy Seth is that he gets to keep you FOR-EV-ER now!
I am so excited for this! A new sister for me, a husband for you, it's pretty awesome! We need to talk dates, I'll call you this week.
Congrats Jane! We are so happy for you. Your ring is georgeous! When and where is the wedding? Keep us posted.
I love the ring! Congratulations to you both, I am so excited! Hopefully I can see you in person soon to give you a hug! Loves!!!
Congrats to you both. Jane, I love your hair, it is very cute. I sure hope I can come.
Jane we are so excited for you two!!! Keep me updated on all the wedding plans!! I love all the pictures! Your ring is beautiful!
Congratulations! How exciting. I agree with Allison, he IS one lucky guy to have you!
I am adding my congrats to everyone else! Remember that BYU Yoga class where we used to hope and dream of moments like this in our futures?? Now it is yours! Add me to the wedding blog update... I am such a girl and love to be giddy with others!
Congraulations Jane & Seth!! I am very excited for you and so happy to hear of your engagement.
congrats congrats CONGRATS!
Jane Congratulations. It has been fun to read about you two. Now the real fun begins. By the way this is Kristi Gee if you can't tell by my ID.
JANE!!! SETH!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you both! Your ring is GORGEOUS and so is that photo of the two of you! Can't wait to hear more wedding details Jane, and thanks for the post we've all been waiting for! Yeah!
i got goosebumps reading your story! I am obviously extatic for the two of you! You definitely are perfect for each other!! Loved the romantic story:) So when is the big date?? Hopefully soon!:)
oh and add me to your wedding blog! -audycamp@hotmail.com
Jane!!! I am SO HAPPY for you guys! You don't even know how I've been waiting for you two to get engaged. :) I think you are the cutest couple EVER! That is such a darling photo of you together. I'm just so excited! Congratulations!!! and have fun with all the wedding plans. Your ring is beautiful.
Love,
Alison (Heather's friend)
Yippee! Reading this post made me tear up. What a love story.
Jane, I am thrilled for you!! Thank you so much for thinking of me. Seth is a cutie too :) Good luck with all the wedding plans!
Love, Robyn
Post a Comment