This morning I'm listening to BYU.TV Music and the Spoken Word while I'm getting ready for church, and I had to stop and transcribe this quote because I just loved it so much.
I have so many reasons to be happy right now, and I really am happy, but I think the reason why i liked this quote so much is because it reminded me of less-than-happy times in life that we still can find joy. I was talking to my sister the other day about this, and she helped me see that sometimes it's not looking so hard in order to find the happy. That's what life is all about, huh?
Sigh. Here is my meticulously transcribed quote form Lloyd Newell on the February 24th, 2008 7:00 AM Music and the Spoken Word.
"One of the most popular courses taught at Harvard University is a class called "positive psychology." In essence the professor teaches how to find joy in living. One semester over 800 students enrolled. What does it say about our society that we must teach finding joy at the highest levels of academia?
Many myths and misconceptions swirl about how and where to find joy, for so many it's elusive. Some think that joy comes from money or material possessions so they conclude that adding more of them will surely bring increased joy...or we may only think we can have joy if our relationships are always stable and our careers always successful.
But real joy doesn't depend on our social status or our bank account and it can even be found in times of turmoil and disappointment. Joy springs from our attitude and outlook. It comes from simple gestures like making time for family members or friends, clearing up a misunderstanding, expressing gratitude for the efforts of others, celebrating their successes, or taking time to listen to their worries.
This kind of joy is available not only during times of peace when all is going well, but also when we face challenges heartache, or pain.
In fact, that's when joy does it's greatest service--it brings balance and peace to the harshness and stresses of everyday living.
It lifts our sights and settles our souls.
Ask yourself where you find joy, and then diligently look for it there. If, at the end of the day, we remember and prize each moment of real joy, we will learn for ourselves the truth of what the psalmist promised, 'Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.'"

I think this picture kind of describes it all. The seas might be stormy, but the sun is shining down anyway!
5 comments:
Hi Janey! I've been meaning to write you a little note to tell you that I tried a recipe last Sunday off of your recipe site ... the Chocolate Truffle Cake. good stuff. I tried a recipe similar to it a month or so ago. I love them!
Have a super week!!
Love,
Becky
PS We need to come see you guys! maybe around the end of April when Joel has a week off cause we want/need to go see some places we're interested in living. Not sure if Nolan will "allow" me to make a trip to the temple by April/May. Or maybe I could do sealings or something quicker. We'll see! :)
I love that comment. And I think I should probably keep that in mind right now because school is making me feel miserable. But I should find the things that make me happy! Like, my husband! And my dog! And pretend dates with you!
Thanks for posting that! :)
I LOVED that quote! I am totally going to copy and paste it. Thanks so much for meticulously writing it down! Loves!
Nice quote janers. i love it. it is soooo true!
Nice happy note--excellent thought. Thanks, Jane~!
Post a Comment