Monday, April 04, 2011

One little word 2011

I know it's not, like, January or anything, but I have been trying for the past four months to think of my one little word (reference origins: One Little word 2009), and it wasn't until General Conference that it came to me:

Purpose

I know that probably wasn't the theme of any talks, but as I took brief notes throughout the talks, that's the word that kept coming to my head (Along with Priority and Direction, the two close runners up for my word). And I'm SOOOOO excited that I finally found it. I have set a lot of goals and resolutions for 2011, but I wasn't sure where they were going until now. I would like to live my life with meaning, with a purpose, and give reason to the things I'm doing.

Meaning, I'm not just running several 1/2 marathons. I'm healing my soul and putting effort into something that I've found meaningful for my spirit and emotional well-being. I'm not just trying to eat and promote a healthier diet for us all, I'm setting patterns for our family and our futures. I'm not just learning how to bake and cook better, I'm gaining a valuable skill that I can put to use daily. And I'm not just studying my scriptures and earning my Honor Bee, I am seeking a greater relationship with my Heavenly Father. I'm working to become the woman I want to be, and to develop the family that we want to have!

I'm not sure that I can even come close to summing up my One Little word 2010. Balance. Oh, how I REALLY needed that word last year. Last year I wrote "Balance in life, balance with family, balance with church callings, balancing my emotions, balancing nutrition, health, and exercise with everything else I need to work on."

Oh, last January I was a mess, a hot mess! We're still so amazed, looking back, at how blessed we were with our circumstances (Seth being unemployed and studying for the bar AKA caring for his ailing wife and 3 month old son.) I feel so humbled by the circumstances we were in, and how much I learned. I was so embarrassed to have to rely on others so readily, but there was no getting around it, and I believe we learned balance in our little family as a result. (We also learned that we have angels all around us, helping in so many ways!) While some might argue that my emotions are always a little on the edge, they are in MUCH better control now than ever. Thank goodness.

I really think we ended up doing well with achieving a greater balance in our lives, and now I'm excited to move forward with purpose in this next year, finding a greater meaning in our lives as we structure it with (and on) PURPOSE :)

5 comments:

M. said...

I like that! It's also nice in years to focus on one overall thing instead of check list. It brings more purpose to life ;)

jandjaponte said...

Thanks Jane! I really appreciate this post.

Cara said...

i love this! what a great word to focus your life on! and i love that you're making changes in your life not just for the sake of doing it, but because you want to give your life purpose and become a better person! you're my hero!

cameron said...

amen! thank you for the thoughts. I needed it. By the way, could you eamil a few of your healthy recipes. I'm desperate... maybe some with chicken... thanks

Amy D. said...

Important word. Great thoughts and purpose, Jane. Loves to you!