Sunday, January 01, 2012

One Little Word 2012

Last year it took me months to come up with our one little word 2011. Probably because we didn't know what was around the corner for so long, and it was a process to find "Purpose" in everything. You know what? It was a good thing that I did it rather late than never, because Purpose was exactly what we needed to focus on. I would re-use the word for this year because I like it so much, but we came up with a few other good ones last night, so on with the new!

I also have to credit Heather for motivating me to get our One Little Word in order, since she's selling cute posters of the word at her site, Simply Fresh Designs. Check them out. Buy One. Hang it up and remember it all year. And by all means, tell Heather that she is so super talented while you're at it. She has 5 kids and somehow can still stay on top of everything and still have time for the cutest lil business--that's sainthood, right there!

We have a few runners up for our one little word this year, namely:

I think if there's a word that will sum up 2012, it will be CHANGE. New living situations, New jobs, maybe a new state, new baby, new challenges with 2 kids, new challenges with kid #1, new weight loss goals, new marathons to run....lots of NEW. Lots of CHANGE. Lots of UNKNOWNS!!!! I think recognizing these things will help me keep some sanity, since I normally thrive on a set course of knowing what to expect. So if I expect change, maybe I'll be prepared for it???!?!? (Insert panicky half-laugh have terrified scream here).

As I was setting new years resolutions, I realized how impossible it is to actually control some of them. You know, like "Don't get Mastitis." BUT, there are things I can try to do, and that I can focus on, to at least get me in a better position for a lot of these things!

So, as I was looking at Seth's goals, my goals, and trying to work toward a one-word solution for all of them, it came...


ORGANIZE.

D&C 88:119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;

I know the context of this scripture is referring to a "House of God" AKA Temple, but what a better example to follow than to establish a house that reflects the same order as the Temple? So, that's my goal, that's my word. We're going to work on getting this house in order--spiritually, physically, mentally!

I'm looking forward to this year. My friend Natty used to always tell me she had "Lucky Feelings" about things, and while I feel a little foreboding at the daunting changes before us, I also feel a little lucky feeling, like that we're ready for lots of tender mercies and blessings to recognize and be thankful for in this upcoming year. And as I type that I knock on wood, because we're going to need lots of that to get us through!!!

Have I mentioned that I'm a little terrified and overwhelmed lately?

I also just have to add that as Seth and I were discussing our One Little Word last night, I added that I needed a post script to our word. Organize. *Stay Sane. Wish me luck!!!

So, what's your One Little Word?

7 comments:

Heather said...

UPLIFT!!! Love it.

I love the organize theme... so good for any stage of life. Really.

I think Stay Sane is just our theme for life. :)

Thanks for the happy thoughts about me. Mostly I'm a wacko. :)

Christina said...

I am still working on mine. I know what I want to say, but I'm having a hard time getting it down to one word. :)

cameron said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE... PLUS I LOVE TO ORGANIZE... SO GIRLY... I WANT THE SCOOP ABOUT ALL YOUR "CHANGE"

Sarah Stout said...

I want more details on this new job, new state thing! I'll have to call you soon for a phone date! :)

I love how you always do this one word for the year thing. It truly helps to simplify our goals. I don't know what my word would be- Perserverance? Change? Create? I guess I might just have to steal yours- ORGANIZE! I need to organize my life a little more in all aspects!

Thinking of you... Hope you're doing well!

Suzanne Maughan said...

That's funny. I posted my goals this morning before reading your post and even though I kind of cheated by picking two words, the first one is organize! Seems like a fitting word and hopefully, I can stick to it.
Hope you guys are doing well!
PS: I love the earrings and wear them a lot. :)

Cherie said...

Does two words count?

"LOOK UP"

Cara said...

perfect word for this year! you can do it! and i l.o.v.e. the new blog look...you're wonderful!