Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Fourth of July!

The three of us were so excited at the last minute chance to get out of town for the 4th! We drove down to Newport Beach yesterday, grabbed some Cafe Rio on our way down, and checked in at a hotel across the street from the back bay. After an afternoon at the pool and a nice rest, we went to dinner at True Food Kitchen. Oh my goodness, it changed my life. I was SO excited to try EVERYTHING. Indulge me for a minute....it was AMAZING! Their Hummus...incredible. They chop up jalapenos really really small in it, and somehow it makes it burst with flavor without being spicy. Ryan loved it. Mmmm, and the spaghetti squash casserole? Divine. And the Summer salad?? YUM. Best dressing ever. We even splurged and got the Almond Olive Oil Cake with greek yogurt and blackberries, and I have to say I L.O.V.E.D. it. Mmmmm. Yum. Can't wait to go back, next time we're getting the pizza!

After dinner we went back to the hotel, got ready and strolled up the hill to the golf course to watch the fireworks! We prepared Ryan a lot beforehand, telling him that the fireworks go "boom boom boom!" (While we made the popcorn popping action) so Ryan kept walking around going "boo! Boo! Boo!" and was SO excited for whatever was coming. He was so happy to not be going to bed, he was such a ham.

Couldn't get him to hold still!!

Giving papa "Eskimo" kisses.

We were just far enough away from the fireworks that they weren't too loud, and Ryan thought they were awesome. He kept his hands like this the whole time, and when the fireworks would die down, he'd sign "more more more."


You know, it was kind of one of those nights where everything just is perfect. I had imagined watching the fireworks this year over the ocean, and kept holding on to the idea that it might somehow happen. So many different things could have prevented it, but it was one of those moments where things just...work. I am so happy I got to spend the holiday with the family I have, at just the right place doing just the right thing! :) Look at that happy (tired) family!

And, in full disclosure...the rest of the night was less than completely ideal. We were laughing this morning when we were driving back that we should have taken more pictures in general, and more with the camera (instead of camera phone), so that we could remember the perfect evening instead of from 10pm-6am, where the family of three tried unsuccessfully to share a kind size bed :) I had a killer headache, so Seth took care of Ryan a lot of the night, and was so great to help out. The good news is that Ryan went down early to bed, and we'll hopefully be able to do the same!

4 comments:

L.S. said...

YAY BLOG POST!! I'm glad you had a great 4th Janey! I miss you! Can I come visit?? :) Ryan is getting SO big by the way!

(PS: I posted Patch Test results! And a picture of the cake balls I made. Both of which you should check out.)

Allison said...

I know exactly what you mean about everything in the moment just feeling perfect. I totally got choked up this year while watching the fireworks with my little family knowing that everything was finally just the way I dreamed it would be.

Sorry about the rest of the night! I had to laugh... isn't that always the way that it seems to go!!!

cameron said...

that is why a vacation to a hotel does not sound fun - the sleep part. ah!!!!!!!!!!!! the rest sounds nice. wish we were tehre.

Cara said...

HA! hilarious to me now while i don't have a tiny person to try to get to sleep in a hotel! but it sounds like you guys had a super-fun day! hooray!