Friday, June 04, 2010

Randoms

I always think of random things, and say to myself "i should blog about that" but when the time comes to blog there are always bigger things to blog about. So this blog is a collection of the "i should blog about that" randoms.

--Our family is apparently bananas! I always buy several more bananas than I think we'll use in hopes of making Elizabeth's amazing banana bread. (side note: i've also been looking for ANY reason to make THESE mounds brownies. Mmm MMM) It is the most delcious recipe I've had, and I can't keep bananas in stock at our house long enough to use them on it very often. Probably good so my backfat doesn't grow anymore.

--Coincidentally, Elizabeth also named May Coconut Month, so in honor of the month I bought me some Coconut Oil. DE-Licious! And Tonight, Elizabeth told me about Coconut BUTTER. Are you kidding me? That's pretty much my two favorite things in one beautiful package. She says it's good on pancakes, toast, and fingers. I'm planning on just taking a bite off the stick (not really...)

--I have decided to name June Orange Month. I made a delicious Orange Chicken recently that I'll be sharing, and Elizabeth (holy cow can you get more blog mentions from me?) sent me a recipe for Zucchini bread that has ORANGE zest in it, and a recipe for ORANGE sorbet. Mmmmmmmm YUMMY!

--Update from previous posts--Ryan likes Banana-guacomole, just not plain guacomole. He also does NOT like Peas. Oh, i'll post the video. It is hilarious.

--I LOVE making baby food. Which is ironic since I used to beg mom to buy me baby food to eat because i loved the tiny tiny little jars. I did find some pouches that taste good for on-the-go trips and days, and Ryan likes them! Thank you Sprouts!

--The word "crunchy". I use the term in jest mostly, but I often talk about how I'm starting to feel "crunchy"--words like organic, toxic chemicals, non-processed, alluminum-free, phthalate & bpa free and all-natural are vocabs that I use a lot more often than I used to. Some people think I'm going crazy. I might be, but please don't judge--I actually do a LOT of research and talk to people who know, and it's not all kooky stuff, either! There's just something in me that thinks if it's just as easy or close, I might as well opt for the natural way! (Note: this does not apply to childbirth (yay epidurals!))

--You might have seen on Seth's facebook that our gas got shut off. Seriously...it wasn't our fault, you've got to believe us! Anyway...they couldn't turn it back on for a week, so we're at day 5 of no oven or stove top, and I have to say it's a lot easier than I thought it would be! Between a Griddle, a borrowed Toaster Oven (Thanks Meghan and Jay!), a Magic Bullet, Hand Mixer, Rice Cooker, Crock Pot, an Electric Frying Pan, and the Kitchen Aid i think I pretty much had the kitchen covered! Mostly I missed the stove top--I've been making homemade cream of _____(chicken, celery, potato) soup instead of using the cans and I couldn't do that without a stovetop so I had to make food that didn't call for anything cream of...

--SILK ALMOND MILK. Mmmmmm. If you are into that sort of thing, go try it! It's delicious. I like the Vanilla because it is sweet and tastes yummy. (What? You thought I was trying to be healthy? Hmmmm...) It also makes a mean green smoothie.

--Did you know (okay, most people know) that I have a sensitivity to MSG? Migraine ensues. It's not pretty. I was trying to think back to the last time I got MSGed, and it has been over a year! Considering my Migraine time in DC, that is pretty amazing. I still get tension headaches now and again that Seth has to massage my head, neck, and shoulders to get rid of them, but they are even few and far between!

--Well...that's all for now! Anything random you'd like to share??

2 comments:

Cara said...

jane, randomness is exactly why i have to write posts of lists. there are always lots of little things i want to share, but they would never make up their own post. hooray for listed posts!

ps my security word for this comment is co-hype. one of my earliest memories is of you coming to my house after kindergarten and telling my mom you couldn't have a pb & j sandwich because it made you hyper. so i love that my security word is co-hype because hype has always made me think of you! ha!

Sarah Stout said...

SO, I need your recipe for homemade cream of _______ soup! I also loathe MSG and all of the store bought kinds have them. Yuck!