Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Love to Bake!

Lately...

I've been having fun with our fresh fruit from Farm Fresh!

Seth loves Strawberries, and he also loves pie. I'm not a huge fan of pie, or pie crust, but for Father's day I'd been planning to make him some sort of pie. I found this cute idea for mini strawberry pies from tasty kitchen and thought I'd try it!

Luckily, I had a refrigerated store bought pie crust to use...because pasty making was NOT in the cards for me.

I used a magic bullet lid to cut out circles to press into cupcake pans, and used the remaining dough to form strips to use as lattice on the top. I was in a bit of a rush to finish before Seth got home, so I didn't do official lattice, I just put one direction and then the other and called it good!

FOR THE FILLING:
½ cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
½ cups Brown Sugar, Not Packed
¼ cups White Sugar
1 dash Cinnamon
1 dash Nutmeg
4 cups Halved Strawberries
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract

Then, In a small bowl mix together the 1/2 cup flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a larger bowl, toss the strawberries with the vanilla extract and then toss them in with the dry ingredients.

The result was kinda cute!! We actually didn't even eat them on Father's day, but I warmed them in the toaster oven the next day and they were delicious, even to me the non-pie-lover!

Tonight I decided to conquer the fresh cherries we got this morning by making a Cobbler! I looked up the easiest way to pit a cherry, which apparently is to use the potato-eye picker from the top of a peeler, and it worked like a charm!

I'm using Pioneer Woman's Blackberry Cobbler #1 recipe, an old standby that we have made a lot of times with frozen berries. I'm excited to see how it turns out with a cobbler. And, as usual, we will be pairing it with Albertson's brand vanilla bean ice cream...another favorite!

And while we're on the subject of baking and favorites...I LOVE Albertson's! Not only do they have the best store bought cookies, but their Wild Harvest Brand??? Ohhhh it brings me SO much joy! Cookies, Crackers, BABY FOOD!!!, Milk, Yogurt....you name it and say it's Wild Harvest and I will go bananas!! I'm so glad the Albertson's is just a mile away, I walk there frequently!!!

Mmmm so if any of you are free around 10 PM tonight, come on over for some fresh cherry cobbler!

4 comments:

Jade said...

You should try this: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html

Not sure how different it will be, but I love that you can make more than one and freeze 'em. I'm not a pie-eater, and so I can make a year's worth (like, 4) mini pies at once and call it good for 12 LONG months. :-)

Janey said...

jade, that is awesome!!!! Done and done!!! I need another freezer. and a house. and a dishwasher. and a washer and dryer.....sigh!

Christina said...

Another thing is that if Seth loves strawberries, you should make a fresh strawberry pie. Super easy because no top crust, just a glaze and ridiculously good!! And I hear you about the dishwasher and washer and dryer... *sniff*

Angie said...

Tasty Tasty, Jane! I wish I baked more, because I really love to do it. Ryan sure is growing up quick - we miss you! - oh, great job on the run!!