Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Hollywood Runs

I am NOT a runner.

I remember every year when the Sugar-Salem cross country team would start practicing (at an insanely early hour) I would muster everything in me to go out and run...and inevitably FAIL. I think I told people I had sports-induced asthma....which is also known as "only eats ice cream and therefore cannot breath when running" ...oops.

Coming from a family of track-record breaking and national champion runners, I was always a little (lot) embarrassed. So...I avoided running most of my life!

(Oh, except there was one time in college when I would run on the byu-i treadmills with my bff Brenna and then afterward we'd go get pints of ben and jerry's and devour them. YUM.) (Also, I ran a 5K right before our wedding, and got so excited with the thought of running a lot...which lasted for about 2 weeks...hmmmm)

So, in January, Dan and Jen mentioned that they wanted to run the Teton Dam 10K in June. Something just clicked, and suddenly I wanted to go, too! I got SO excited about the prospect. Coming from having had a baby and a subsequent hospitalization and issue after issue after health issue, I wasn't really in my right mind...but I really wanted to do it.

When we moved to our new place in April, I decided to head out with the jogging stroller and run a bit. I still nearly passed out at the beginning, but I kept at it every day. With some great running buddies (Meghan, Suzanne, Seth, and Baby Ryan, Baby Kaitlyn, and Baby Jack) things kept clicking, and suddenly I was running farther, faster, and happier every time!

Something changed inside me. I was driven, motivated, and excited to run! (Nevermind the added bonus of baby weight sweating off) Getting out of the house, fresh(relatively) air, good conversation with running buddies, and working out was addicting!

So...today was the real test. Next week is the Flood Run and I wanted to do a trial Hollywood Run first. So with Seth watching Baby Ryan, I set off with a water-bottle belt and GPS! There's nothing that says "COOL" like running down Hollywood Blvd with a "water" fanny-pack and sweaty brows (my eyebrows collect salt in them when I'm running, isn't that gross?)

6.4 miles later, (the farthest I've EVER run at once in my life) I'm a happy Janey! I wasn't even too tired today. Just happy and accomplished and a little bit proud!

Tidbit:

--When I run, either "Rock-a-bye baby" or "Lay all your love on me" from Mama Mia run through my head. Why "mama mia" you ask? Oh, let me show you...



If you think you're bored when watching, skip to about 3/4 of the way through and keep watching. Hilarious.

So....the big race is 6 days away, the forecast is rainy, windy, and much colder than here, and I can't help but feel a little butterfly twittering around in my tummy...but I can't wait! Family re-runions, here we come!

3 comments:

Devony said...

I'm so impressed! I think I have sports-induced asthma too! It is WAY harder to run when you live at high altitudes though too! Good luck in the race!

Hilary said...

You are so legit! People area always asking us if we want to get into running and I respond the same way I did in high school about cross country: "No...that doesn't sound fun at all."
Well done friend!

Sarah Stout said...

That's so awesome, Jane! How did you do it? I need motivation to get out there and exercising again, rather than sitting on my butt wishing I were out there. Help! I need advice.