Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Tale of the Belly Button Gorge

I noticed last night that my belly button is spreading...into a deep "innie" gorge in the middle of my otherwise very round and symetrical baby bump. This gorge...it's not pretty, people.

I had my appendix out (laproscopic) when I was 15, and ever since have had a cute, but very deep innie "E" shaped belly button. The "E" is now bold and wide and is about 26pt instead of the usual 18pt.

So this begs the question: how does one prevent the belly button gorge (BBG) from ruining an otherwise perfectly cute preggie shirt?

I just tried putting scotch tape over the BBG. It's helping a little bit, but when i move it makes a crunchy tape sound. This might be cause for awkwardness.

Any other ideas??

Followup: After 1/2 day, my scotch tape had clouded up over my belly button (imagine a mirror after a shower). Not pretty, people.

13 comments:

Heather said...

bandaids... they are thicker and non-crinkly! :)

Heather said...

and pretty much duct tape will solve any problem... only it might really hurt when you take it off. stick with bandaids ... thick nexcare kind maybe.

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Have to giggle. My belly button changed during pregnancy and never went back to normal ... not to scare you or anything. :)

Kaylyn said...

Ah, Jane I love you. You are so great!

Sarah Stout said...

Haha... Jane, you make me laugh. I agree with the bandaid suggestion. Sounds safer and QUIETER to me! :)

Rylie said...

Just wait until it pops out, or goes completly flat! :)

Hilary said...

Hey...I remember when you got your appendix out...that was an interesting...good...influential...etc etc etc...time of life. Now I'm feeling nostalgic.

Allison said...

LOL! I never got the outie in pregnancy....just completely flat at the end....and oddly, it changed color to a very dark brown! So weird...hopefully it goes away. Good luck!!

Mary said...

What is bigger than a gorge? That would be mine. Still. Sigh. Embrace the hole! You'll start a new pregnancy trend.

layjent said...

i think i'm the only guy to comment....but when you said tape crinkles, I immediately thought blue tack and laughed to myself...so I thought I'd share.

Amy D. said...

I just always figure that everyone has a belly button, so if they could see mine through my shirt, oh, well. They know it's there and it's not the weirdest thing, is it? Thus, my favorite maternity shirt was a pink blouse with buttons down the middle--no belly gorges visible there!

Devony said...

Go the Andy (from the Office) route and do a cotton ball with a bandaid over it. Also, FYI, I laughed so so so hard over this post. It might be my favorite.

Brittany said...

Jane, I keep forgetting to tell you that I think you're about 2 weeks ahead of me. I'm not showing yet but I have a feeling that any day now I am going to pop.

By the way, we finally started a blog (about 5 years after the rest of the world):
http://brianandbritt.blogspot.com/