Monday, May 18, 2009

Earthquake!

Last night we experienced our first earthquake! I feel like since no damage was done, and no one was hurt, I can be a little excited about this one....so please indulge me.

Seth was playing the piano (which did not cause the earth to quake), and i was just about to head upstairs...when there was a little shake shake shake, and then another little shake shake shake, and then our mirrors kept shaking for a little bit. We stopped and looked at each other...and then I continued upstairs (bathroom break!) and Seth went outside to hear if it really was an earthquake.

Our neighbor, Beth, came out to tell us it was indeed an earthquake. I came back downstairs to call the parentals to tell them the news! I mean, it is my first "real" earthquake (meaning....I didn't make it up in my dreams and insist i felt it for weeks...)

Later that evening, Beth came over again to offer a flashlight to us--she's a very nice neighbor! We talked a bit about the whole "earthquake" thing, and Beth gave us some good advice, like "Don't run outside like you just did--look what could fall on you!" :)

The interesting thing is that on Friday and Saturday night, whenever Seth got into or out of bed, I kept waking up thinking it was an earthquake. And last night I kept dreaming about how we didn't have any food storage in the house and that maybe we should try to be a 'little' prepared (little...because our kitchen is LITTLE and storage space is non-existent).

Maybe the next earthquake will be scary and cause problems, and I'll be sad about it. But these little harmless guys are kind of cool--and a good reminder about what we need to do to be prepared!!!

5 comments:

Rylie said...

Glad it wasn't a serious one. I would have done the same thing though, and called my parents right after it happened. ;)

Meghan said...

I thought it was a pretty cool earthquake. I like the little ones. We were sitting on the couch watching the "Lost" season finale when the walls started rumbling. Jay said the only thing he'd be upset about if it really had been a big earthquake was that we didn't know how "Lost" ended. :) Good thing we got to finish.

Em said...

I still get excited by them, too. Nothing to be ashamed of! Of course, I too have yet to go through a big one...I hope the scientists are wrong and it's a long ways away...

Sarah Stout said...

Wow! That is so crazy... I can't imagine what it would be like living in earthquake country!

Marisa said...

I will admit that earthquakes is one of the reasons that I miss Cali. We don't have them in Arizona. :( I love the first few seconds of it when you are wondering if it's just a big truck rolling down the street or if it's really an earthquake.

(I've never been in one where people got hurt... just the little rock and rollers.)