Thursday, August 03, 2006

You're Starting to Sound Like...

So Yesterday mom and I were talking about the phenomenon when people start to sound like each other i.e. I have started to talk like Seth. It's nothing I've noticed (except for I say "this or that" "for whatever reason" and I write "very much" in cover letters...) but my mom totally picked up on it, and she's on the other side of the country. Haven't seen the hottie for a month (from today, sigh), yet the vocal tone and inflections carry on....what is that all about?

I started thinking about this complex...and how come I'm afflicted. If I were to ask my sisters or any of my friends about this, most could name off the different "trendy" voices or mannerisms I had. Heather and Mary can tell you all about the "Galbraith" smile (or laugh, or speech...what was up with the talking through the side of my mouth thing)? Mom can name them all, but notably the "Britta" voice and the "Tia" voice? And then there was the phase of talking in every accent imaginable, thanks to the Hilary crowd "Wewl, uh, uh huh" (okay, the writing doesn't nearly do it justice!) I even switch from one voice to another when I talk to different people. The other day Laura Lamb's phone called me, so I answered as if I were talking to Laura, and soon realized I was ACTUALLY talking to Belle...and suddenly I shifted from Laura to Belle voice, mid sentence!

So how does it happen? I. don't. know. How come no one has a Janey voice? Am I chameleon, or simply a follower? Throwing the question out to the void...I could really use some help here. Can someone help me create the Janey voice? I need my own identity!!! (hee hee)

No comments: