Saturday, March 13, 2010

Decorating Tips

I just wanna throw this out there....anyone have any great tips/ideas/thoughts on decorating houses/apts? What's the latest "cool" thing you've seen? Any trends I should be "up" on? What's your favorite thing about your house/apt? What do you like to splurge on? What can you make yourself that's just as good? What's your favorite thrift find for your house?

And while we're on the subject...does anyone out there know about ventless dryers? How 'bout washer/dryer combos (also ventless, but they use a condensation method for drying...wait if you know about them i don't need to explain!) I'd LOVE any info the blogosphere has about this.

Also...will I die without a dishwasher? I think I might....no, seriously. Currently considering installing one.

12 comments:

Christina said...

I have no decorating ideas, but I can attest that living without a dishwasher with a baby is tough. I spend a LOT of time every day doing dishes--it's easily measured in hours.

The Martins said...

Hi Jane, it's Emily (used to be Teeples). Your little boy is darling. Sounds like you love being a mom!

My favorite blog for decorating ideas is makeitandloveit.blogspot.com. The girl who puts the blog together has some great ideas, and she is redecorating her house right now and shares all the cute things she has made.

Suzanne Maughan said...

We are currently in the process of moving our kids into the same room and I got an idea for wall hangings since the colors in the current room (Hayley's room) are pink and brown. My new color scheme is green, blue, beige and brown and I bought some adorable fabrics at Hobby Lobby and also got 3 art canvases and hot glued the fabrics onto the canvses. They are adorable wall hangings, much cheaper than if you bought them and you can pick fabric to match any room you want and get creative with it! The pictures are in my creative album on my facebook if you want to take a look. :)

Jade said...

You will not die without a dishwasher ... unless you get one and then it's taken away. We didn't have a dishwasher until my oldest was 1, and we were just fine. But if you DO get one, they're super duper wonderful and you will wonder how you ever lived without one.

As for the other stuff, no idea. Our Craigslisted washer just died on us, so we're in the market. And quickly, as I have six loads piled in the hallway. So I'll be checking other comments to get the 411 myself.

Marilou said...

makeitandloveit.blogspot.com has had some lots of "decorating your home" tips lately. A lot of them have been really cute.
Sorry, no knowledge on ventless dryers.
As far as the dishwasher goes...I understand. Family of 5, no dishwasher. :(

Heather said...

i don't know... i have a counter full of dishes and we do have a dishwasher... so i'm thinking it would be worse if we didn't have one. But maybe we'd just keep on the dishes better if we knew we had to wash them all by hand. I do love a dishwasher for disinfecting things. I'm not up on the trends in decorating at all... as evidenced by the style in my home... rather a non-style. :) But it is fun to see fun decorating. Good luck!

L.W. said...

I made a really cool spice rack that I'm pretty proud of. Honestly, for me, taking a walk through IKEA (or a look through their catalog) always gives me some neat ideas. And I don't have that much to work with! Or money to buy anything good!

Jenna said...

I love looking through magazines like Traditonal Home & then rip out the pages of rooms or things I like within that room (I circle the items so I won't forget what it was that I liked so much!). I have a binder with those pages to refer to when I actually do get a house I can totally re-do in "my style." I'm a fan of one trend that says to mix traditional with a few contemporary pieces in order to keep it current, but comfy. I don't like too many angles & lines, but a few here & there make it clean-looking, while the traditional/antique pieces keep it looking beautiful (to me). I also LOVE texture, it makes all the difference in the world & while I am a fan of the "coordinated" look, NOT so much the "matchy-matchy" look (too many matching chairs, couches, fabrics). Ok, time for me to stop, I definitely have opinions, but they are that--my opinions. Start by looking around, so you can get "your style" in mind & then buy things here & there (or make them, we all know YouTube can teach you to do ANYTHING :P), layering as you go, rearranging, re-doing, etc...Your house is artistic expression in progress!!

As to dishwashers, the more kids/people you have, the more it becomes a "need" in my opinion (I didn't have one with the boys & it was fine, but now we do & I just don't think I could go back!)

Melanie said...

Jane,

We have a stackable ventless Washer and Dryer. You need to do small loads and it takes a good 2.5 hours to dry clothes. Not as good as normal ones. BUT it's still so so so much better than having to go to a laundry mat and waiting.

Charisa and Trent said...

Trent and I have been in this apartment for nearly 4 years and up until last summer I did all our dishes by hand. Then my brother and his wife gave us their portable dishwasher, the kind you hook up to the sink, when they moved to Florida. I didn't think I'd ever use it because I was so accustomed to doing it by hand. So no... you won't die.... however every now and again there's a night where I just don't want to deal with it and I looooove being able to rinse and load. :o)

Jared and Tara Phelps said...

OK, wait, did you move into a new place? Just wondering why you're asking about appliances now....you guys in AZ??? :D Uhm, unfortunately, I have no cute ideas. :( I love striped painting but I'm not sure if you can paint in a rented place.
My suggestion is to just go with what you love. I did a French/Paris theme throughout my downstairs (it is popular so there is lots to find to decorate with), I've had it in there for 6 years and when we moved to our new house, I wanted the exact same decor! I'm not sick of it, I just LOVE it. My sister always would go with my mom's suggestions of warm colors (golds and reds, etc) and my sister finally discovered she's drawn to cool colors (silvery blues and browns) and she needed to just stick with it!
:) That's all of my advice. (for now)

Sarah Stout said...

I subscribe to this blog on Google Reader called "Tip Junkie." It has such fun ideas for decorating and rearranging. ALSO... I second the motion on makeitandloveit.blogspot.com. Really cute ideas!