Sunday, February 07, 2010

Julies

Julies and baby Ryan--he LOVED snuggling with Julies

Julies is my friend from DC who has made me a better person in so many ways. The founder of Taco Tuesdays, she brought humor to my soul during one of life's bigger trials, and helped me develop the perspective I needed to move forward with faith.

This last week, Julie's Mom passed away unexpectedly. We were able to attend the funeral on Saturday, and it was FULL of faith, of memories and reflection, of love, and of HOPE. Charlene Bradshaw was an incredible person who led a full life. Her daughter Julie is so much like her. As we drove home, Seth and I talked about the many things we learned at the Funeral that we would like to emulate in our own lives, and the incredible strength we felt from the Bradshaw family.

It seems that in the past month I've heard so much about trials other people have been called to pass through, from my extended family all the way to the blogging world. My heart has been heavy with the sorrows people have been faced with, and my prayers and thoughts are with those who are passing through these difficult times. At the same time, I have been so impressed with the manner which these people have chosen to learn from their trials. It has inspired me to want to pass through my trials with as much faith and patience as those around me have done.

Our stake president said in essence at ward conference a few weeks ago that "A disciple of Christ should not expect to be free from trials" and I realized that it's not the lack of trials in life that brings us happiness, but rather the right focus through the trials.

Notice that Julie is still smiling...even when baby Ryan spit up all over her pretty dress.

And he loves her so much for it!

3 comments:

AudyCamp said...

What a sweet friend...and to be smiling even. You can see her strength and faith in the pictures.

I just gave a talk in church off of Elder Holland's talk entitled "Lessons from Liberty Jail." (Sep.'09 Ensign) .(..wait did I already tell you this..?)

Anyways, it talked about how our terrible experiences can become some of the most important & sweet experiences as we become closer to our Heavenly Father through them..It spoke of the same thing you said~that we ALL go through the trials & being a disciple of Christ does help us see the perspective but does not excuse us from the trial. Anyway just read it...it's perfect!

Brittany said...

Oh, my heart breaks for Julie losing her mother! I'll keep her family in my prayers. You are right, I feel like there has been so much tragedy that I've heard of and it makes me more grateful for what I have.

Millicent said...

Thank you, for sharing. I just love Julie and her family. She and all the Bradshaws are very much in my prayers.