So....I've been renting a hospital grade pump (medela symphony) since we had the babe, and it's been great, but I need a portable one now!
I'm 99% sold on the Medela Pump in style, but does anyone have any particular advice about it? Like...I want the metro bag one because the pump comes out of the bag...but it's more expensive? and dare we buy a used one if we have all new "personal" parts? is the backpack any better than the shoulder bag?
Our 1% is for an Ameda, that my lactation consultant also recommended as an option. It's about 80 bucks cheaper, and it's kind of cute. But then I couldn't use the rest of my medela stuff with it.
Thoughts in the next 18 hours are appreciated!!! (then I'll take down this post...it's not like i want the world to know all my questions about "pumps"!)
15 comments:
My advice? I believe that with our first kid we tend to buy more than we need. However, I also believe that with the first kid, we should buy what we'll need for any future kids that may come and not feel guilty about it. So, spend the money you need to spend to get what you'll use and continue to use. If you'll spend the next long time regretting not ponying up the little bit extra for the Metro bag, you should just get the Metro bag and be at peace. I use this reasoning a lot to get what I want -- but I really do believe it's valid. I didn't get the wedding dress I wanted because there was another one that was $80 cheaper. Sure, I don't use my wedding dress over and over. But I will always have that little tinge of regret that I saved $80 but settled for something I really didn't like.
That, and it was my parents' money anyhow. ;-)
I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and I love it!!! I take it to work every day. I have the metro bag and while I guess it's nice that I can remove it, I've never done that. I mean, you always need to have all the accessories with you, so you need the bag. As for buying a used one, I'd say that hygiene wise you're perfectly fine if you have new parts. All you're really buying in that case is the motor. On the other hand, it if was used a lot it might die sooner. I've only been using mine three months and I haven't had any problem with that, so I don't have any idea how long they last. Plus, having a new one would mean a warranty. Good luck!
I only used the pump in style shoulder bag and I liked it. But then again, I didn't pump a lot as Scarlett refused a bottle.
I like my medela pump, and I'd lend it to you, but it's not working right now and I need to get it fixed before this baby gets here. Good luck though!
I have the pump n style and it is great.
The bag I got is similar to the shoulder bag. I don't think they sell it anymore. When I pumped I just set up a little pumping station at my home. So I wasn't as interested in portability. I did use it to pump in the car and it was fine. I also took it with me to visit my parents. I think that 90% of the time it is jut sitting on a table, or wherever you pump, so I wouldn't worry about the bag.
No matter how hard you try, every once in a while the milk will get sucked back up the tubes and into your machine. I would just buy a new one, and know that you will use it with your other kiddos. Even if we don't get to have other kids, I do not regret spending the money.
Our hospital has a lactation center and my pump was $280, no tax there. I did consider using a 15% off coupon at babies r us, but it was still cheaper at the lactaion center because of the no tax.
The parts (tubes, valves, bottles, cords, cones, etc.) were all WAY cheaper at the lactation center. So I would see if you have somewhere like that to buy all the parts.
You are going to want a Medela. They are the best on the market and have been for 30 years - just ask my mother, a lactation consultant for 25 years. My sister loved the "Pump In Style."
I have a Pump in Style and would totally recommend it. Actually, I've been trying to sell mine...if you want to buy it I could hook you up :)
I have the Medela Pump in Style and I really like it. Mine never leaves the house so I don't really need the metro backpack one. I would say you'd be fine buying a used one, just use your own parts and clean it out well. A little trick of the trade is that sometimes your insurance will cover your breastpump, mine did. All you have to do is have your OBGYN write you a prescription for a breast pump (sounds weird, I know) and then you take it to a medical supply store (I got mine at Alpine Home Medical) and I only ended up paying 10% and my insurance covered 90%. So my Medela pump only ended up costing me 35 bucks, not bad too shabby. It's worth looking into. I would just call Alpine and ask them if they process claims through your specific insurance. Good luck and happy pumping ;)
I'm a friend of Jades and saw your question. I have the pump in style with the shoulder bag and I love it. I havent ever taken the pump out, to be honest I didn't know it came out. I dont have any complaints about it, other than its not hands free. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.
If you buy a used one the warranty will be void on it.
I have the Medela Pump In Style and it has been great for me. I have the version that is over the shoulder and my favorite features include the battery pack (helpful for car travel) and the mini milk cooler. I used a hospital grade pump for the first 2 months and have been using this pump exclusively for the last 7 months. My only complaint is that the parts seem more difficult to keep clean than the Ameda pump that I had rented. If you are really diligent about washing and sterilizing after each use, maybe you won't have the same problem. I often was not in a place where I could really clean my parts and so I resorted to rinsing only and now I have had to replace the tubing and other parts a few times. Good luck!
Jane, I bought a brand new Medela In Style (metro bag) on ebay for about $75 cheaper than in the store and then it never showed up (don't buy used)! I was so mad! So I went out and bought an Ameda style one (it's actually a Landisoh or whatever brand is the same as that Landolin ointment) and it does just fine (although I have only used it a couple times so far). I don't think the bag as opposed to the backpack will really make a ton of difference unless you are planning on pumping exclusively (which I have considered because I hate breastfeeding)!
For what it's worth, I love my Medela in style advanced pump (mine's the shoulder bag.) It's almost as good as the hospital grade and is very portable. Give Ryana big hug for me!
Hey Jane,
In the hospital, we used the Ameda pump and loved it. Before I had the baby, we bought the Ameda Swing. (http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-pumps/145/swing-breastpump)
My kid ended up being a horrible breast feeder so I ended up renting the Ameda pump that I used in the hospital. The swing is only for occassional pumping. I think I used it two times.
I am actually going to sell the swing pump (You want?) if I can find someone who is not too grossed out by using a used personal item.
Whatever you get, make sure you get a tough enough pump if you are going to be pumping every day. You can get by with a whimpier one if its just every now and then.
What brand pump have you been using? If you've been using Medela and it's been working great, I would stick with it. They all have their own shapes and quirks and some pumps don't work as well for certain women. It's up to your personal preference for which style to actually get. I did get a used one from a friend. Doesn't bother me, but at least I KNEW the first owner. Depending on the price difference, I personally think I would go for the used Medela. (unless it's only, like, $10 more to get the new one) The Medela will also last you through several more kids, most likely.
love my medela pump in style shoulder bag, don't have the cuter metro because i wouldn't fork out the money for it. i never take the pump out of the bag, but you can wear the bag so the zippers around the pump are against your body and no one knows. sometimes i wish i had the hands free pump, but no idea how that really works and maybe it's good for me to sit down and just pump not still try to do a jillion things at once. still, very satisfied with my purchase and i got mine new, but now having had it would probably not think twice about a used one with new personal parts or even disinfected old ones, but maybe that's because i've been dealing with more poop lately so i'm more willing to disinfect...:)
that's my 2cents, i think any way you go with a medela pump you'll be happy. it's been worth it for me!
and even if you put up a post on pumps, you really should at least tease us with a cute picture of that cute boy of yours... :)
Post a Comment