Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dear Gap Customer Service...

Dear Gap Customer Service,

On Saturday, I went shopping at the Gap store in Los Angeles (at the Grove shopping center) for a maternity outfit for my baby shower! I'm 8 months pregnant, so obviously it's not the easiest thing to do--which is why I'm writing you! See, your salesperson in the Maternity Section...she decided she'd point that out to me by starting her "sales pitch" with just that "Well, it's going to be REALLY hard to find something that looks good on you at this point."

Oh, that's just the beginning....

Let's see, she told me the pants I had in my had would be terribly unflattering to my "large" figure, and proceeded to show me some jeans that "might at least be a little better". She then asked me my size, and before i could answer said three sizes higher than I am as a "guess". Sigh. When I told her the size I normally wear in "Gap Maternity Styles" she just eyed me up and down, and said "are you sure? Well you can try them, and I'll bring you a bigger size if they don't fit". (I was right, luckily!)

She did as any good sales person should do, and came to my room to see how things were going. But then she just kind of looked at me...and suggested another sweater (that draped down to my knees...I think maybe she thought if i just covered myself up!) and when I declined it and went to purchase the one i'd found she just shrugged and said "suit yourself".

It's not that I'm complaining. I get similar treatment from other people, I guess it was just embarrassing to say the least coming from a stranger who was supposed to be helping me in a store--and had I not absolutely needed an outfit for my shower, I would have walked right out of the store!

I absolutely understand a business sale--ask them if you can help, make suggestions to boost profit, see if you can lure them to applying for a gap card, suggest other styles similar to what they're buying in hopes they'll buy both or increase what their purchases are...but there was just something missing--TACT! A person wants a warm, genuine, and NICE salesperson, ESPECIALLY when they're not feeling their best (i.e. pregnancy). Maybe you could have people who are sympathetic to pregnant people work in the Maternity Section? Or maybe just people who have been pregnant before and know that no matter what...you just tell pregnant people that they are fabulous and that it's such an exciting time?? Just a thought--I really am not normally much of a complainer, but this was just TOO much for me to handle! I cried and cried and cried (I AM pregnant, afterall!) after I left the store, and I'm glad that I have a wonderful mom who just said something to the effect of "Janey, don't let them ruin your shower, you just go in with your head held high!"

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm done Maternity clothes shopping. Gap has done a great job for me--I wear mostly gap maternity clothes and recommend them to my 40 other pregnant friends. I just will have to recommend that they NOT shop In-Store for them--online is much easier and less embarrassing!! It's my hope that you can prevent this from happening to other pregnant ladies--we all deserve some dignity while we're growing little miracles and sacrificing our figures for something far more important!

Regards,

Jane Johnson

Update: I heard back from Gap Customer Service. They regret disappointing me, since providing our loyal customers with world-class service and a great product is their goal. They also said they'd pass some information along to the store, so I guess from here I can just hope that they talk to the employees! Sigh.

13 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Jane! This almost makes me cry. How rotten! I hope you really sent that to Gap! They should give you a gift card to come back and buy some new clothes after baby is born.

Brittany said...

Jane, I can't believe the salesperson was so tactless! I'm so sorry! I definitely feel your pain though. I feel like a fat cow these days and I hate going into a store and feeling like people are staring at me (especially since my fingers are so swollen I can't wear my wedding ring anymore!). I think that some day we really will laugh at all of this . . .

Kaylyn said...

She is obviously just lame and mean! I think you look beautiful!!

Dave and Stephanie said...

it's amazing how when you're pregnant people make rude comments about your size that they would never dream of saying to a woman normally. somehow they think it's ok to comment on your size bc you're pregnant. sorry the lady was rude. obviously she is working in the wrong area. you look cute (based on your baby shower pics). it will be all worth it in a few weeks!

Kristi said...

Jane! That is the worst story ever. I hope you got the sales woman's name. I think you look amazing, I mean that. I am so glad you have amazing friends out there! Seth needs to hook Kingston up with a job! :) Anyway, I miss you lots. If you want me to write a letter to GAP too I totally will. That person needs to be fired or not working with people or something. Yuck!

Jodi said...

I was just going to write and say how cute I think you are. I love the maternity look on you!! I am so excited for this little boy to make an apperance. Should we plan an arranged marraige?? I am going to be having a girl in January.( sorry I didtn' make it to your shower in Utah...I was having some morning sickness issues ) Could you email me your address?? Love ya

Devony said...

Oh My Gosh. Seriously. I hate tactless people and maternity time is the worst since you can't handle it well like normal. So sad. Maybe she'll get a thorough tongue lashing.

Allison said...

Weren't our mothers always right when they said - "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!"
Some people didn't have smart mothers like we did! :)

annie said...

that was a waaaaaay nicer letter than the one i would have written. unbelievable.
i have found that writing letters/emails to complain about service always pays off. i got free coupons to wendy's b/c they tried to charge me for honey mustard--the nerve! :)
anyway, you look great and it looks like you had a super fun shower.

NA said...

Janie,

I am sorry. That is a terrible story. I think you look beautiful and miss you like candy :)

p.s. that baby shower cake looks AMAZING!

tyler, terrah, miles and gavin said...

I think you look beautiful, Jane! I'm sorry you were treated horribly; I would have cried, too.

A similar thing happened to me when I went to Treasure's in Rexburg. I was looking for a dress for my wedding reception in Canada, and the salesgirl looked me up and down and said, "I don't think we have YOUR size here." I guess the only sizes they carried were for emaciated, big-busted teeny-boppers.

Suffice it to say, I never went back there, and once my coworkers caught wind of the situation, they called the store and complained. To this day, I have an unredeemed coupon for 50% off a dress at Treasure's. Woot. (Sense the sarcastic enthusiasm ...)

Again, you are beautiful! People can be mindless, but be glad you're better than that! We love you! :)

TRF said...

You look AMAZING and always have the cutest maternity clothes. I hope someday when I am prego, I look as fabulous and vivacious as you do! Hugs!!! Tanya

Cherie said...

I think you look fabulous! Jeers to the clearly unsuitable customer service rep.