So here's what I'm excited about! Hard wood floors, two stories, two bedrooms, garbage disposal (You'd be SHOCKED at how many places do not offer a garbage disposal!), granite counter tops, dish washer, patio, walk in closet, and new carpet on the stairs! We're really glad that we were able to get a 2 bedroom so that we can always have company. I'm even thinking of getting a pack and play so that we're a fully baby friendly household.
Here's our floor plan:

And now, for the first time ever, Seth and I get to decorate! We're going to have to buy furniture (aka, a bed, couch, desk, and dining room table) and paint and buy rugs and lamps--ahhh!! We're going to be on a budget. Any good tips? Where do you like to shop for furniture? What do you recommend we get/skip on? What is "worth it" and what is "not worth it"? Can't wait to hear from you!
12 comments:
Jane! How perfect is that? I'm so glad for you. It'll be nice to feel more settled I bet. Happy shopping!
fun, fun to have a new place as a newlywed. all i have to say is: IKEA!!! It is the best place to buy stuff for a cute little apartment and it is cheap!
Congrats to you on the new job and the apartment! Does Seth have a job yet? I am sure you would be disgraced by my decorating techniques, but we still live in the poor student mentality. My favorite places are Craigslist and Yard Sales. We bought our mattress new at a furniture outlet store and saved even more since it was the floor model. You can be super frugal and still have some fun decor...besides...one day you will be able to do so much more with your own house! Good luck!
When we were first married we had to buy cheapo stuff - oh wait - we're still buying cheapo stuff. One thing that I dislike is that nothing matches - like all the wood is different colors. But with free stuff, stuff we stained ourselves, and cheapo stuff, I know I can't complain. But if you decide what kind of wood is your favorite, go with all that color.
But here's the thing. I used to like that reddish/brownish stain color - and now the plain walnut is more trendy and now I like that. Sigh... what to do...
I'm excited for you guys to have your own place. How fun to get settled in for Christmas!
Yay! So exciting... I agree with the IKEA comment. You should totally shop at IKEA! There stuff is wonderful and unique... and did I mention cheap? Go there if you can. I can't wait to see pictures!
P.S. Has Seth found a job yet?
I was going to suggest Ikea as well- most stuff is made well and will last a long time. I plan on going there, hunting online, and I get ideas from magazines and shows so I can mimic looks I like for way cheaper. Ohhhh and don't be afraid to look even in those little shops you may not normally go in- sometimes that's where you find your favorite things! Working with a budget can be difficult and sometimes frustrating BUT it can also make it more fun to find exactly what you want :)
I'm just glad you have a place to live! :) And I'm glad you're still close to Luke & Annie. It's sure nice to be close to family. :)
SO GLAD YOU FOUND A PLACE. WHEN DO YOU MOVE IN? CAN'T WAIT TO SEE PICTURES.... WHAT TO SPLURGE ON...MOST DEFINITELY A MATTRESS AND COUCHES...the rest is just extra...but shoot..you spend 1/3 of your life on your mattress...it better be awesome!
LOVES
IKEA! Or save up for what you really want ... you'll be happier in the long run...esp if it's a piece you want to keep a really long time or possibly your whole lives.
way to go Seth and Jane! I hope this helps you feel more settled. love ya
I heart IKEA! And we miss you!
craigslist! seriously jane, i have bought so many mid-century pieces there that i love and for super cheap and have great resale value. but you have to act fast because they usually sell the first day. keep your eyes open. and then ikea for the rest.
Post a Comment